Yorkshire news Over 50s 'could be told to stay home' to stop another UK lockdown MetiNews.Com
MetiNews.Com - Government said to be considering personal risk rating for anyone aged 50 to 70
Breaking News ! People aged 50 and over could be urged to stay at home to prevent a second lockdown across the UK. And according to claims published in The Times, people aged 50 to 70 could each be given a personal risk rating. This means people may be forced to shield due to their age, alongside people identified in March as vulnerable. Local Government Minister Robert Jenrick, however, insisted the idea was not being 'actively considered' and was 'speculation'. Sources at Number 10 also dismissed the reports as 'speculative', reports The Mirror. Restrictions, where 2.2 million people were told to 'shield' (stay at home), were yesterday lifted in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Despite Prime Minister Boris Johnson putting the brakes on further easing of lockdown rules, the end of shielding went ahead. But according to the Sunday Times and the Sunday Telegraph, an option has been raised to focus more on age in future. Under the proposals, a greater number of people would be asked to shield, based on their age or particular risk factors that have been identified since March, the Sunday Telegraph says. It could even see those aged between 50 and 70 given 'personalised risk ratings', said the Sunday Times - a move that would add to the 2.2m who were deemed most vulnerable and previously told to remain at home. Read More Related Articles Leeds goes 18 days without a coronavirus death in city's hospitals Read More Related Articles One coronavirus death recorded in Yorkshire out of five across UK The Sunday Times reported the Conservative Party leader held a 'war game' session with Chancellor Rishi Sunak on Wednesday to run through possible options for averting another nationwide lockdown that could stall any potential economic recovery. Tory minister Robert Jenrick appeared to play down the possibility of age-related restrictions but did not rule them out completely.
. You would expect the government to be considering all of the range of options that might be available to us. “That’s not something that’s being actively considered. "We have a shielding programme, we’ve provided very clear guidance to those people who we’ve identified as being extremely clinically vulnerable and we’ve supported them and we'll continue to support them, for example with the delivery of medicines if they require it.
Click to play
Tap to play
The video will start in8Cancel
"And if necessary in localised areas, for example in Leicester, we've extended the period in which we're asking people to shield which meet those characteristics." People in Luton and Blackburn with Darwen have been told shielding should continue to August 17. In Leicester, shielding also continues until at least August 17 and could run in some parts of the city beyond that. Likewise, shielding remains in place until August 16 in Wales.
Sign up for the YorkshireLive newsletter
There are many ways of keeping up-to-date with everything happening across Yorkshire as our journalists work day and night to bring you the very latest news. We have our YorkshireLive app which is completely customisable and means you will only get the news which matters to you. And we also send out daily newsletters which bring the best news and features direct to your inbox. You can sign up very simply by popping your email address in the box at the top of this article, just under the picture.
But people in Greater Manchester and parts of Lancashire and West Yorkshire have been told shielding is over – despite new restrictions there banning two households from meeting indoors. Bowling alleys were set to reopen this weekend, but on Friday Boris Johnson deferred this, saying it was not safe to reopen further businesses.
Source = MetiNews.Com