UK The families confused about new shielding guidance last minute news
MetiNews.Com - "It doesn't make sense. I don't want to go back to work because it's exactly the place where people have Covid-19."
Breaking News ! Families who have been shielding throughout lockdown have spoken of their fears around the lifting of measures despite Greater Manchester's rising infection rates. The Prime Minister has said that shielding will still end this weekend despite the local lockdown - for everyone except those in Blackburn or Darwen and other high risk areas of the country. But people in Greater Manchester who have been shielding told the Manchester Evening News they would either continue as they were - or venture out reluctantly only because they no longer have the Government's protection and have to go to work. It comes as the Government said those who are clinically vulnerable will still be allowed out as planned, despite the limited new restrictions. This is because, the government says, they know how the virus has spread and in what situations - hence the 'specific and limited' measures. The government site reads: "Clinically extremely vulnerable people will no longer have to follow the shielding guidance from the 1 August, unless they live in Blackburn with Darwen in the North West and other local affected areas across England where shielding continues." But what do those who have been shielding make of it all? The Manchester Evening News spoke to some of those who have been shielding throughout the crisis. Connor Shaw will continue to shield despite relaxing of Government guidance (Image: Manchester Evening News) Amid the rising infection level, some families will continue shielding despite the lifting of official guidance. Connor Shaw, 20, from Chorlton, was born with a congenital heart condition which means only half his heart was developed. Aged just three, he suffered multiple organ failure and was given just days to live before a heart transplant saved his life. Maria Chebrika-Shaw, Connor's mum, has said further complications led to him fearing they would lose their son 'many times'. Now 21, Connor and his family have had to be incredibly cautious throughout lockdown - and plan to continue shielding despite the official guidance. Maria, 53, told the Manchester Evening News: "To be honest we had presumed we would have to keep shielding - it's all so confusing - and we will be carrying on. Connor won't be going anywhere. "He doesn't want to venture out - it's too soon." Read More Related Articles We need clarity on outdoor meeting and pub beer garden rules, mayor says - as he slams government for causing 'confusion and distress' Read More Related Articles Every word of the Prime Minister's coronavirus press conference speech - as he urged each and every one of us to play our part It means Connor will spend his 21st birthday at home - and without the relatives who had been invited to visit him in the garden. Maria added: "Our next trip will be on August 17 to Newcastle for his transplant clinic." The family is not happy about how the local lockdown was communicated. Maria added: "I think if they'd have come out and explained everything properly as opposed to the night before it wouldn't have left everyone so confused. "To be fair we won't be doing anything much different anyway. We are always cautious with Connor. It's just learning to cope and live with it. "We were always cautious anyway with anyone coming to the house because his immune system is so low." Doreen Renshaw, 60, and her son Lee, 32, who has Down's Syndrome, also plan to carry on shielding despite the Government guidance. Doreen Renshaw, 60, and her son Lee, 32, who has Down's Syndrome, also plan to carry on shielding despite the Government guidance. Doreen, who lives in Failsworth, said: "We will continue to shield. Lee has had a very bad stomach bug and he's been to hospital so I'm not ready to let him back out to anywhere yet.
. A lot of children with Down's will give each other infections - they don't realise how to social distance. "We have got used to staying in now, it's been five months. I think the new measures are for the best because the virus has risen. I'm very scared about getting it and very scared about Lee getting it."
Doreen Renshaw, 60, and her son Lee, 32, who has Down's Syndrome, also plan to carry on shielding despite the Government guidance.
Some families now have no choice but to return to work - despite their fears over contracting Covid-19. One dad, 55, from Walkden, who has asked not to be named, has been shielding his son, 14, since the start of the outbreak because he has a serious medical condition. Next week, he will have to return to work as a support worker. He said: "They only extended shielding in Blackburn and Darwen and if I don't go back to work I'm not going to get paid because they have had me on furlough. "My work has been brilliant as I've been off since the start but I have no choice now but to go back.
Which coronavirus lockdown easing plans have been postponed?
Half the people in this street are on local lockdown - and half aren't
"I am worried. I work in an environment where Covid-`9 is quite high risk." He said he would be wearing PPE and taking all precautions he could. Cathy McLoughlin, 58, from Moss Side, who lives with her partner, has been shielding since April 8 because she has had breast cancer, chemotherapy and lives with an auto-immune condition. Cathy, who works in hospital transport, would have had to return to work today because of the eased shielding measures. However, she is so concerned about that high-risk environment she has obtained a four-week sick note from her GP. She added: "I think they should keep the shielding in line with the levels of infection. "They were supposed to be pausing shielding in case the levels rose but it has risen and yet they are pausing shielding. It obviously will be putting people in danger or they wouldn't be saying to other people not go to to someone's garden or household.
"It doesn't make sense. For me it's more of a mental health thing. I don't want to go back to work because I'm transporting patients - it's exactly the place where people have Covid-19." But Cathy recognises that she cannot put off a return to work indefinitely. She added: "It's the not knowing - nobody knows what's going to happen. If in four weeks we aren't back in lockdown I'll have to go to work and suffer the consequences."