UK news The abandoned Cambridgeshire villages lost and forgotten in time last minute news
MetiNews.Com - Historians are still puzzling over some of these villages today
Breaking News ! Over the years, countless Cambridgeshire villages have been lost or abandoned. These villages were occupied hundreds of years ago, with many leaving little to no physical trace of their existence today. But some historical records of the settlements remain, allowing us to understand where they once were, how many people lived there and why they were eventually deserted. Read on for some of the stories behind Cambridgeshire's abandoned and forgotten villages. Follow Trainee Reporter Harry Gold on social media To follow Harry on Twitter, press here. To like his Facebook page and keep up to date with the latest breaking news, click here. Or simply visit Cambridgeshire Live's main Facebook page here for all our latest stories. Clopton Clopton is a deserted medieval village, located around a mile south-west of Croydon, Cambridgeshire. The village is referenced in the 1086 Domesday book, in which 18 peasants were recorded as living there. It's believed the village was deserted between 1500 and 1518 after John Fisher, a London lawyer, purchased the land from the Clopton family in 1489. After he purchased the land, he evicted the villagers so he could consolidate the area into one body. Cratendune Historians believe the village of Cratendune was situated around one miles south of Ely. Ethelbert of Kent, who reigned from 560 - 616, is thought to have founded a church in Cratendune. The village, which disappeared from history in the 1500s, was described as one of the largest and most important Anglo-Saxon settlements in the country. It's believed that villagers left the settlement after an abbey was founded at nearby Ely in 673, where many villagers re-settled. Howes The hamlet of Howes was located on Huntingdon Road between Girton and Cambridge. It's thought that occupation of the settlement began between 1150 and 1210. Archaeologists believe that the settlement increased in size gradually until the mid to late 14th century, before beginning its decline from the early/mid 15th centrury. The site was deserted from the early-mid 16th century.
. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086, with a population of 14 for Great Childerley and 11 for Little Childerley. The settlement began to grow in size until the early fifteenth century, at which point a decline began. It's thought that the final depopulation of the site took place in the 17th century. Malton Malton, located near Meldreth and Shepreth, was first mentioned as an independent settlement in 1200, before which it was considered as part of the village of Orwell. While no physical remnants of the village exist, documentary evidence does seem to suggest its presence. As the village was taxed with Orwell throughout the fourteenth and sixteenth century, its true size is difficult to estimate. It's thought the village was deserted in the 15th or 16th century. Barham Barham, a deserted medieval village located near Linton, was first mentioned in 1050. By 1279, the settlement had grown to a considerable size, with records suggesting there were 70 tenants at this time. However, from 1316 onwards, the tax records became less definite and the village was amalgamated with Linton before it was deserted. Badlingham Badlingham, located between Red Lodge and Chippenham, is recorded from 1086 onwards. In 1279, the village was taxed with neighbouring Chippenham, with records suggesting the two settlements housed 163 landholders. Historians believe the two settlements split from one another and Badlingham, the smaller of the two, declined in population. The size of the settlement seems to have declined gradually over time. Read more on CambridgeshireLive below:
The Cambs spot named one of the best places for wild swimming by Countryfile
10 lovely walking spots to go for a Sunday stroll in Cambridgeshire
Wimpole A number of areas on the parklands of Wimpole Hall have revealed evidence of a past settlement. Wimpole is first mentioned in the Domesday Book and had a reasonably large population in the 14th century. The settlement was populated for several hundred years after this too, with a map in 1683 showing a sizeable population. The village was gradually depopulated in the 18th century when the park was laid out.