UK Ground handling firm puts 300 jobs at risk of redundancy at Manchester Airport last minute news
MetiNews.Com - Menzies Aviation said they made the 'difficult decision' as they 'do not expect volumes to return to pre-COVID 19 levels in the near future'
Breaking News ! A ground handling firm has put 300 jobs at risk of redundancy at Manchester Airport. Menzies Aviation said they were left with 'no choice' as the pandemic has been the 'most challenging period the UK aviation sector has ever seen'. A worker for the company, who asked to remain anonymous, said they felt the decision had been made 'hastily'. He said: "Despite the company pressurising the government to extend the furlough job retention scheme they have hastily taken the decision to make redundancies."All staff being told over a conference call. The redundancy period started on Monday, June 22. "And no correspondence has been given at all by the company. Having worked for Menzies for over seven years we are not getting any information, with it being unclear which management is still in a job or a contact list of who to contact in what situation. "The who scenario has become very stressful. Around 300 Menzies Aviation jobs are at risk of redundancy at Manchester Airport (Image: Stoke Sentinel) "Understand the whole country and beyond are in a similar situation or worse. Communication with answers can go a far way. "It can help people sleep who are losing sleep and already suffer from health issues and anxiety." A spokeswoman for Menzies said a full communications plan began on June 16 which included letters, conference calls and an ongoing fortnightly call for all staff. Read More Related Articles How to check which businesses are open near you "We’re very concerned to hear that one of our employees feels as though they have had no communication and would urge them to get in touch with their line manager or union representative as soon as possible," she said. They said the collapse of airline Flybe earlier this year heavily impacted their operation at Manchester Airport. Menzies Aviation was contracted to do ground handling work for the firm at the airport. This redundancy figure includes the Menzies teams who were servicing Flybe when it collapsed, the spokeswoman confirmed. She said consultation had already commenced with these teams by the time the job retention scheme was introduced. Menzies halted the consultation at that point to allow them to apply for the scheme and to allow time to assess the impact of Flybe’s collapse and Covid-19 together, she added. A Flybe plane is barricaded in its stand by a tractor at Manchester Airport in March (Image: MEN Media) She also said the figure, 300 roles, is an 'approximated maximum number' of redundancies and they anticipate the actual number will be less. "We continue to explore all alternative options in our consultation with union representatives such as more part-time working in order to minimise the number of redundancies" she added. Read More Related Articles Loud 'explosion' heard in Tameside after two cars set on fire Read More Related Articles Richard Madeley forced to apologise for offering 'dangerous' advice about domestic violence In a full statement, the firm said: “It is with great sadness we have taken the difficult decision to enter into a period of consultation of about 300 potential redundancies at Manchester Airport due to the devastating impact COVID-19 has had on the industry.
. "We’re left with no choice therefore but to take action to match our workforce to the volumes we anticipate through the winter and well into 2021 to ensure Menzies is sustainable now and fit for the future. “We recognise the significant impact this will have on our colleagues who will be leaving us and throughout this process we’ll do everything we can to minimise the number of job losses across the network.” Another ground handling firm, Swissport, previously confirmed that they were 'taking steps to reduce the size of their workforce'. A spokesman for the firm did not confirm how many jobs were at risk at Manchester Airport.
Sign up to the free MEN email newsletter
Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here
But they did anticipate that around half of their workforce in the UK, 4,000 roles, would go. In a comment on Monday, Jason Holt, CEO of Swissport UK and Ireland said: “Swissport is an essential part of the country’s supply chain and pivotal to the UK and Ireland’s aviation industry. But the Covid-19 outbreak has hit us hard, beginning with the collapse of Flybe back in March. "At its core, our business relies on a high volume of flights taking place. When aircraft aren’t flying, our source of revenue disappears. As of May, revenue has dropped by around 75% across our business. "We are grateful for the help of Government support schemes, which have allowed us to take the time to properly consider our position and do everything possible to work for solutions that will protect jobs. "But we now must adapt to the unfortunate reality that there simply aren’t enough aircraft flying for our business to continue running as it did before Covid-19; and there won’t be for some time to come.
Swissport has also announced job losses
"It is with regret that today we are taking steps to reduce the size of Swissport’s workforce. Of our circa 8,500 Swissport employees, we expect upwards of 4,000 will leave us, comprising around 50% of our workforce. "I want to stress that this isn’t in any way a reflection on the dedication of our teams and the quality of their work. "The situation we’re facing is one shared by the whole industry. These are very challenging existential times. "This is a hard decision to make, but immeasurably harder for our colleagues to hear. But it’s an essential decision if we are to keep operating and to protect as many livelihoods as possible in the long run.” Aerospace giant Airbus recently announced plans to cut around 15,000 jobs from its global workforce, including 1,700 roles in the UK.