North East UK news Newcastle restaurant loses nearly all its bookings for two weeks after new rules MetiNews.Com
MetiNews.Com - Another restaurant in the city said it had lost two thirds of its bookings on Friday, while at least two others decided to close for sit-in diners following the news
Breaking News ! A Newcastle restaurant says it has lost nearly all its bookings for two weeks after new Covid-19 restrictions were announced in the North East. Bistro Forty Six in Jesmond says virtually every table has cancelled in the wake of Matt Hancock’s announcement on Thursday. Another restaurant in the city said it had lost two thirds of its bookings on Friday, while at least two others decided to close for sit-in diners following the news. Under the new restrictions, designed to stop the spread of Covid-19, residents are asked not to socialise with other people outside of their own households or support bubbles in all public venues. They also restricted late night opening hours for the hospitality industry, with leisure and entertainment venues required to close between 10pm to 5am. Read More Related Articles Can I still form a bubble if I live alone? What the new North East rules say Read More Related Articles Can grandparents still look after children? Here are the rules And many businesses have been hit as customers cancel their bookings in order to stick to the guidance. Bistro Forty Six posted on its Facebook page: “Unfortunately the new 'Guidance' has meant nearly every table has cancelled for the next 2 weeks due to the 1 household rule. “Our average table size is 4 to 6 and regularly people from different households meeting up. We can now no longer sit tables after 8pm to allow time for you to enjoy your meal before the curfew. “We do not know how many more times we can get knocked down without help to get back up.” Route, a restaurant on Newcastle ’s Quayside, also said it had lost two thirds of its bookings for Friday. North East lockdown restrictions Live updates and reaction Full story Rules on going to the pub The North East town exempt from rules Meanwhile city centre Chinese restaurant La Yuan said it would close for dining-in following the announcement, but would still do a takeaway service. Zapatista Burrito Bar said it would close one of its Newcastle city centre stores (on Grainger Street) “for the next few weeks”.
. Several bar owners have already spoken out about the impact the new restrictions will have on an already struggling industry. Paul Pringle, who owns the popular Intermezzo, Alvinos and Tokyo bars in the city centre, said: "The new local lockdown is a nightmare for businesses like mine - most of the business in my bars is after 10pm. What do you think of the restrictions? Let us know by taking our short survey
"The curfew will have a huge impact on trade at a time when we are already struggling. “These new local restrictions take out the most profitable part of the evening." Gary Forrest, chairman of the High Street Group, which runs the Bar 52 venues, the Purple Peacock in Newcastle, and the Sea Hotel in South Shields, slammed a “distinct lack of clarity” in the new guidance and said it had been done “without due consideration and discussion” with businesses. He said: “If you follow the letter of what Matt Hancock said in his statement and not mix with those outside your household it will have a devastating effect on the hospitality industry.
Every lockdown rule in new North East restrictions
North East lockdown measures confirmed as government reveals new rules
“The country needs a long-term strategy. At the moment everything is reactive and just short term measures, and this is a perfect example of that. “We have a lot of hospitality venues across the North East and we received notification of this two days ago. “All our staff, management team and everyone connected to the business has been working really long hours with sleepless nights to work out how we keep the business moving forward and ride this storm. “This sort of action, without due consideration and discussion with operators, it just beggars belief.”
Source = MetiNews.Com