North East UK news Government drawing up drastic plans to avoid second national lockdown MetiNews.Com

MetiNews.Com - Reports claim plans which include fast regional lockdowns and using the M25 around London as a barrier would be used to avoid the UK being put back into a national lockdown

North East UK news Government drawing up drastic plans to avoid second national lockdown MetiNews.Com

MetiNews.Com - Reports claim plans which include fast regional lockdowns and using the M25 around London as a barrier would be used to avoid the UK being put back into a national lockdown

North East UK news  Government drawing up drastic plans to avoid second national lockdown MetiNews.Com
02 August 2020 - 07:40

Breaking News ! Drastic plans to avoid a second national lockdown have been drawn up by the Government, according to reports. The Sunday Telegraph and Sunday Times claimed that radical blueprints, likened to the nuclear deterrent, have been drawn up. The news comes after Boris Johnson put a halt to the easing of lockdown on Friday as fears grow that a surge of cases in some areas of northern England could turn into a second wave of coronavirus. Parts of the North West and Yorkshire were given fresh restrictions with social gatherings banned indoors and in private gardens. Meanwhile, ministers have been warned by experts that "trade-offs", such as the closing of pubs, could be needed for schools to fully reopen in September. The reports claim that the elderly and vulnerable could be asked once again to stay at home to enable the younger, less susceptible people to continue working while keeping death rates low. Part of the "enhanced" or "differential" shielding plans could be to have exclusive weekly slots for the elderly to visit shops and access services, the Mirror reports. A city-wide lockdown on London is also reportedly being considered, with restrictions on travel in and out of the M25 in the event of a spike of cases in the capital. Read More Related Articles Sunderland councillors warn of local lockdown risk after pub closures Read More Related Articles Areas where Covid-19 is rising but no local lockdown is in place The Sunday Times said Mr Johnson held a "war game" session with Chancellor Rishi Sunak on Wednesday to run through possible options for averting another nationwide lockdown that could stall any potential economic recovery. Meanwhile tightening quarantine restrictions on those flying into the UK and “harder” local lockdowns than the restrictions imposed last week are all under consideration. The change in tone from the government comes after a small uptick in coronavirus cases nationally over the last few weeks in the UK. Just a few weeks ago, Mr Johnson was speaking of a return to normality by Christmas.

. A senior Whitehall source told the Telegraph: “We are hopeful that fast action, regional lockdowns and quarantines will stop the need for any more substantive action. "However we prepare for all scenarios, and officials are currently drawing up an array of policy options to present to the Prime Minister.” The blueprint to avoid another lockdown comes after people shielding were finally freed from the shackles for the first time on Saturday. In Wales, the advice remains in place until August 16. The enhanced shielding plans may include more people, based on ages and risk factors identified since March. It could even see those aged between 50 and 70 given "personalised risk ratings", said the Times. It is believed that encouraging “shielding afternoons” or “shielding hours” for the most vulnerable to access shops and services is part of the plans. Supermarkets introduced priority shopping hours for the elderly and vulnerable at the start of the national lockdown in March. The Government is also thought to be considering a national ban on people from different households meeting indoors, in the event that test and trace figures suggest that such social contact is partly responsible, as Matt Hancock claimed last week was the case in the badly-hit parts of northern England. Downing Street sources have distanced themselves from the detail in the reports, calling them "speculative".

Source = MetiNews.Com

This news 62 hits received.

North East UK news Government drawing up drastic plans to avoid second national lockdown MetiNews.Com


North East UK news Government drawing up drastic plans to avoid second national lockdown MetiNews.Com


North East UK news Government drawing up drastic plans to avoid second national lockdown MetiNews.Com


North East UK news Government drawing up drastic plans to avoid second national lockdown MetiNews.Com

COMMENTS

  • 0 Comment
Last News
MAY INTEREST YOU x
UK news  Huge jump in planned redundancies because of coronavirus last news
UK news Huge jump in planned redundancies because of coronavirus last...
London news  Police tackle 800-vehicle car meet in Enfield as hundreds turn out to watch Uk news
London news Police tackle 800-vehicle car meet in Enfield as hundreds...