Cornwall news Gordon Ramsay lost £57m during the pandemic UK news
MetiNews.Com - The TV chef said the lockdowns have caused 'utter devastation' to his business
Breaking News ! TV chef and restaurateur Gordon Ramsay has confirmed he's lost over £57million since the Covid-19 emergency hit the UK last March. Gordon, who spent a large portion of 2020 in his huge Cornwall mansion, had to cancel a whopping 22,500 Christmas bookings because of the third lockdown, which had a monumental toll on his business. During his appearance on the Graham Norton show last Friday, February 19, Graham said the lockdowns have had a "devastating" impact on his London restaurants and fears he will come out of the third lockdown in crisis. Speaking to Graham Norton, Gordon said: "It's devastating. When you think about breaking bread and having fun with friends and family, it's just tragic not to have that. "When we reopened last July, the atmosphere was monumental and electrifying, we didn't even need music, so to be shut back down was tough. "In December, our most important month, we cancelled 22-and-a-half thousand reservations, but I have always been optimistic." He has now worked out that his company, which oversees his 18 restaurants across the capital, 17 restaurants elsewhere in the world and five more set to open 'once normality has returned,' has seen a lost of £57.5m worth of turnover since the first lockdown began on March 23, 2020. Speaking to The Sun, he said: “In December we had £10m worth of reservations wiped out overnight. As of March 19, 2020 to February 3, 2021 we've suffered £57.5million worth of turnover down. "I'm in it. Lockdowns have caused utter devastation." You can stay up to date on the top news and events near you with CornwallLive’s FREE newsletters – enter your email address at the top of the page. Gordon Ramsey had a lot of renovations done on his mansion in Rock last year (Image: Greg Martin/Cornwall Live) Gordon, 54, typically splits his time between his home in London and his properties in Cornwall, where he spent the entirety of the first lockdown and much of the rest of the year.
. Last May he was spotted in Fowey buying pasties and flapjacks, 25 miles away from his Trebetherick mansion, and was reportedly 'warned by the coastguard' about the need to obey the rules regarding social distancing and staying at home. He later listed one of his Cornish properties, the grand Grade II listed Trevail House in Fowey, for sale at a cool £2.75 million. But it's understood he still owns his £4million mansion in Trebetherick, near Daymer Bay and a further 'mega mansion' in Rock.
While in Cornwall, Gordon took up the Government's furlough scheme - which has reportedly been extended until July 2021 - in order to save hundreds of jobs at his restaurants. He said his employees were at their "wit's end" with stress from the lockdowns. "Having been through so much with the 2008 financial crash, then terrorist attacks and 9/11, when Covid first hit, we all thought it would be over and done with in a couple of weeks," he said. this week. "But it's been long-haul. It's been so hard to keep youngsters motivated, and I do feel under pressure to give my younger members of staff, especially, some hope, and the sense that we can get out of this. "Since 1998, when I started, I have always put my money back into the business. I've never been greedy, I've always been very, very generous." "I get criticised for being wealthy, but the responsibility on my shoulders - the livelihoods at stake - is huge. "I feel that pressure enormously, and the impact of all this has been devastating and incredibly costly," he added.
Source = MetiNews.Com - Cornwall