Bristol news Investigation into Bristol takeaway over plug in onion bhaji MetiNews.Com
MetiNews.Com - Bristol City Council has issued a statement
Breaking News ! An environmental health investigation continues after a takeaway apologised for serving an onion bhaji containing a plug. A Southville woman complained when her grandson found the sink plug attached to a green string and coated in batter, after the family ordered from Bedminster takeaway Garam Masala on February 13. The restaurant, on West Street, said last weekend that it had “fired” the employee responsible for the mistake and it is “really, really sorry”. A Bristol City Council spokesman has now said: “Our environmental health team has visited this business to check their food safety management system, following a complaint received relating to food purchased from there. "We are continuing the investigation into this incident." The manager of Garam Masala says environmental health officers visited last week and "said they are happy with us". The unhappy customer, a 65-year-old gran who does not wish to be named, says her family made an order from La Mediterranean on North Street, and another from Garam Masala, on the evening in question. The family spent £17.99 on rice, onion bhajis and naan bread from Garam Masala. The gran said: "We’ve used Garam Masala many times before and never had any reason to be unhappy, apart from the random delivery times, but we’ve got used to that. We’ve never had any bad food from there." But she became concerned with the order on February 13, when she found potato peelings in the rice, causing her to "wonder what on earth was going on". She added: "My grandson was Starvin’ Marvin as usual, and trying to have his food before anyone else. He was saying, ‘I can’t cut the onion bhaji.’ The plug in the onion bhaji “I was saying, ‘It’s fine, it’s just dried in the oven.’ Then I thought – hang on, there’s something black in there. “When I saw that it was a plug, I was absolutely gobsmacked. I just couldn’t believe it. It made me wonder if someone was not very happy in the kitchen that night.” The customer phoned Garam Masala to complain. She said: “I looked back and to my horror my grandson was eating the other onion bhaji. He’s not a very fussy eater. “When I rang the restaurant and said there’s a plug in there, the manager said that wasn’t possible. “I was very disappointed and surprised. I asked him to have a think about what he could do, and get back to me.
. I called him again and he said, ‘Sorry, I’ve been busy. If you want a refund you have to go through [the food delivery service] JustEat.’ “By the time I dealt with the plug, I’d totally lost my appetite, so I didn’t eat much of my dinner from the Mediterranean.” She lodged a complaint with JustEat, which she says eventually provided a full refund last Tuesday. “I didn’t hear back from the restaurant directly, which I was really disappointed about,” she said. “I could understand they were busy on the Saturday, but I thought I’d hear back on the Sunday. “I thought they’d ring the next day and ask if everyone was alright, and check no one had been ill – but there was nothing. “To be perfectly honest, I’ve gone right off the idea of takeaways now.” The manager of Garam Masala says the environmental health team was satisfied with the restaurant’s protocols when it visited to investigate the complaint last week. He says the employee who did the mixing for the bhajis has been “fired”. The manager said: “We follow the procedure and if there is human error, there are things that cannot be controlled sometimes.
“It shouldn’t happen but we are really, really sorry for that. We have already taken the precautions and done all the things that need to be done. “Environmental health came in and said they are happy with us. Food has never been made in the sink. We make it in a bowl. “Sometimes we make 50, 60, 100 portions at once. It’s a big amount of onions to mix with ground flour, and when we’re mixing it needs water. Somehow, the plug has dropped in.” He added he did not call the customer back to apologise because her number had disappeared from the JustEat order system. He says he would have done so if he had the number. “She rang me and because I could not believe my ears, I wanted to make inquiries and then come back to her,” he said. “This is a thing that shouldn’t have happened and I couldn’t believe that it had happened.” Garam Masala has a four-star food hygiene rating.
Source = MetiNews.Com